Sunday 13 March 2011

Confernece - Sunday, ending on an awful note

First thing in the morning is not welcome after the Glee Club, but we have an emergency motion on Banks - Being tougher on bankers and bonuses.  I daren’t go home without playing my part in voting for that one.  Not only did we all agree to the motion, which of course we hope will be taken notice of, but I heard that we have done more in 10 months to take action than Labour did in 13 years.  There were strong words, and I have no reason to disbelieve them, about toughening and tightening up more, need for investment in Small and Medium Enterprises, and going further than the Merlin report.
Then it was quake in shoes time again.  Stockton Lib Dems, along with Kirklees, had tried to submit a motion on communication.  We felt very strongly that the Party needs to let its members know a lot more facts about what is happening.  The motion was not chosen for debate and a “Strategy, positioning and priorities” motion put in instead with half a line on communications – so Stockton and Kirklees had an amendment, again not taken.  John Smithson from Kirklees could not be there, so I had to put a card in to speak.  Would I be taken ? could I do it ? wobble, wobble, and I was glad John was able to sit with me.
I was called and managed the speech without the red light.  Phew.  I can e-mail anyone that wants to see what I said.
Great things were said in the rest of the debate though.  Moved so well by Gordon Lishman,  he always says the things I wish I could say like that.  I was too wobbly to take notes though.  What I did note from speakers was a passionate commitment to our values and principles.  I’ll just jot down here some of what I picked up, not in prose, but as I recall.
“Give us respect, give us responsibility and we can take it up.
We need a detailed process on how decisions are made.
Our ideas and ideals are great an we can and will carry them out.
Coalition mark 2 (for second half of Parliament) will not be rushed.  There will be proper processes and for consultation and agreement, but at the end of the day there will have to be compromises.  Conference will have a real role and not a sham role as Labour have.
Simon Hughes talked about how we still stood for Social Justice and Radical Action for what we believe in.  We aim to replace Labour as the radical alternative to the Tories.
I was pleased that in the summing of of the debate that James Gurling did say that I had made some good points and some would be taken on board straight away.  Hope so – it will save me having to aske awkward questions at the autumn conference !

YES to AV
Had Simon Woolley give a passionate speech on AV being part of the fight for a better democratic process leading to greater equalities and a better society.  He reminded us that Martin Luther King used the law and democratic process to make the changes that he did.
Also the welcome news that the BNP are in the NO campaign, and that a better voting system where every vote counts will encourage more people to vote, which will not help the BNP gain footholds.
A well deserved standing ovation was given.

ACCESS TO JUSTICE was the last policy motion, but the most important for me.  A good speech from Tom Brake that I couldn’t paraphrase.
It was emphasised that those who need access to justice are the most vulnerable in our society.  Time after time we heard speakers tell us that legal aid lawyers were not fat cats, but committed to helping the vulnerable, with some moving examples.
Something we don’t hear is how the last labour Government attacked Legal Aid, cut rates and made it very unattractive.  The number of firms doing Legal Aid work shrunk from 3,500 to 1,500.
We also heard about the shocking, and expensive waste of time through inefficient and outdated court processes, and there needed to be a much better way of dealing with such as housing repossession cases.
The work of the Citizens Advice Bureau was highlighted as being crucial in carrying out the work of enabling people to have access to justice, in a very cost effective way too.  The motion we agreed also highlit the need fir proper funding for CABs.
Proposed cuts to Legal Aid work has upset me more than any of the others, so I am relieved that at least the Lib Dems have a proper policy on this issue that I can proudly stand by.

NICK CLEGG
The leaders speech.  Well no need to write anything here – it is all over the net!

A DISTRESSING INCIDENT
That should have been it, going home on a high and happy note.  We were till meeting up with a friend I meet up with at conference who is disabled and is confined to a wheelchair.  Yesterday she had been hit on the back by one of the protesters, shouting that she should be ashamed of herself.  This is someone with back problems already.  She had to be taken to hospital last night because of her injuries and is still in pain.  Words almost fail me.  No mention of it in the media I see.

No comments:

Post a Comment