Friday 6 May 2011

The Count - phew ! signing off in style


The count.  No time for nerves and worry, sit and concentrate on what is happening, watching every vote on every ballot paper, getting it into the right pile.  Will we do it or won’t we ?  the mood of the country was against us, with people upset at Lib Dems even talking to Tories, and Tories coming out in force to vote “no to AV”.  Too late to do anything – just make sure that every vote that should be ours is !
YES.  Julia and Elliot elected.   Congratulations to Councillor Julia Cherrett and Councillor Elliot Kennedy.  Congratulations to the people of Bishopsgarth and Elm Tree who it turns out have voted against the national trend and voted in 2 very good councillors.  Phew.  I can retire knowing the people I have served and loved are in good hands.
Not such good news in Eaglescliffe  where John’s seat was not taken by Lesley Lewis who would have been an excellent Councillor to represent and work for Eaglescliffe.  I am sure that people who have voted on national issues are going to regret the local implications.
No time for a rest though.  The AV count was immediately after the locals, whilst Parish Council counts took place.  As expected from the deceitful and untruthful and negative NO campaign there was a decisive “no” vote.  I could hardly manage to move between the tables to agree which were and were not allowable votes, but I did.  As I started off yesterday realising, our democracy is precious, and scrutinising all those votes is important.
It isn’t over yet though.  We had a black tie dinner at the university starting at 6.45 and it was well gone 6.   I’d got changed into my long evening dress in between the count for AV finishing and it being accepted at Sunderland, and John was the only person left watching the Eaglescliffe Parish Council vote.  I realised suddenly that the result of the referendum was being announced and counters who had been hard at work since 9 in the morning were leaving.  Usually at the end of the count the leader of the council takes the microphone and thanks everyone.  But the only 2 councillors left (we are still councillors till midnight Sunday!)  were John and I.  So I managed to get up onto the podium took the mike whilst returning officer not there, and resplendent in evening dress gave a big thanks to everyone who had worked so hard organising and counting the votes.  I couldn’t resist, whilst I was there, saying “as this will be the last time I speak as a Councillor” – there was a bit of a gasp – what is she going to say !!! but used the opportunity to say a big thank you to the many council staff there who had helped and supported us over the many years on the council.  Not a very usual end to the day, I am usually very scruffy having been out all day on polling day, and certainly not allowed near a mike – but then an unusual day all round, and an end of an era.

No comments:

Post a Comment