Thursday 21 April 2011

Green for Go

We had started getting complaints about difficulties in using the pedestrian phase to cross the Sainsbury's junction at Whithouse Farm.  People were worried that they did not have time to cross over in one go.  I had tried for myself and saw exactly what they meant.  you press to cross, wait for the green man to come on next to you and start walking across.  I found it frightening, no green man to look at on the way over to see how you were doing.  Was there enough time ? should I start on the middle leg, or even the last leg ?  I was walking badly that day, so only walking slowly.  So Council department was contacted and a site visit arranged.
Today was the site visit.  I had hoped for the necessary changes to be made - but got educated instead!  I had not realised that there were sensors, for instance, that made sure traffic did not start whilst someone was moving on the crossing.  Clever stuff but people need to know.  In the 25 minutes we were there a number of people crossed, and all but 2 picked a time they thought was safe rather than use the crossing. 
We are making sure that we get more information for people and better ways of getting that informatin out to people using the crossing.  It does show the value of asking some questions, and not just worrying about something !

No comments:

Post a Comment